My photo
Cape Town, South Africa
I work in the mediums of sculpture, painting and drawing. After graduating in sculpture from Michaelis School of Fine Art in 2006, I worked extensively, for festival and theatre industries creating large outdoor sculptures, installations and giant puppets; holding development workshops; completing private commissions; And I am now re-focusing on my fine art. Themes I focus on in my work are: growth, transformation, journey, life and death cycles, dualities of male and female, mortality, divinity and flesh, pain and love; revealing and unravelling the secret, silent places beneath skins, below layers and veils of guise and illusion... Along with producing my personal work towards a solo exhibition, I also receive commissions. I have ranges of small artworks that are available for sale at The Fringe Arts; Haas, Bokaap; Imagenius, Cape Town; and Dorp Street Gallery in Stellenbosch. Look out for my new website in August 2012.
this blog is for illustrations and 2-d work in progress. will update regularly.. as the pictures spill out of me. (click on any image to view large). see also daya-art.blogspot.com

buckfever underground illustration


submitted for illustration competition by obrigado magazine, where one had to illustrate the lyrics of a song by local south african band: Buckfever Underground.
song: "i want to die on a tuesday afternoon".
lyrics: "i want to die, i want to die i want to die without a wife or at least without one that didn't love me so i can be free of all the mourning, the bitterness and the black, all the tears and kak. i want to die wearing these same shoes and my favourite t-shirt too. i don't wanna kill myself i'd rather let someone else 20 000 people can't be wrong. i want to die on a tuesday afternoon on a busy sidewalk or maybe a pretty park in town, so the bergies or tannies, skollies or the cops, can stop by and stare for a while until the blood runs dry. i want to die towards the end of the year in december, or in november so i won't lose that much on my subscriptions to die burger and insig and DSTV and any case then by christmas all can be forgotten so the new year could be happy again..."